howto:tag checklist (locked)
This checklist of tagging criteria has been prepared in order to give a comprehensive idea on things to look out for when tagging. The tagging criteria has been categorized by priority to bring attention to the more important tags.
For your easy reference, common tags, along with links to relevant tag groups have been provided.
As the checklist is quite long, please take it easy when familiarizing yourself with this list. Begin with the more important tags at Level 0 (and all sub-levels), and then work your way upwards.
About Tagging Priorities
Lower level tags are essential tags. Images lacking lower level tags are considered insufficient for efficient cataloging and searching.
Higher level tags are extra tags which describe the more intricate details of an image, but are more difficult to apply correctly, usually due to potential for debate, or a higher requirement of knowledge of otherwise obscure topics such as memes.
Note to taggers: This checklist is still in a very early stage, You may help out in expanding this checklist. However, if any part of this list grows too large, please inform the forums about creating a tag_group. Remember to reference this tagging checklist!
Ignore, Do NOT Tag
Subjective tags that express opinions or subjective critique on images. Common examples are badass, cute, good, evil, moe, sexy and most other adjectives. A full list of known subjective tags may be found at Tag_group:Subjective.
Subjective themes, such as misleading thumbnails or lingerie ninja are also not to be tagged.
Subjective tags and themes best left as pools.
Very generic themes best left as multiple tags.
- Blondes in Bikini blonde_hair bikini
- Bloody Fighting: battle blood
- Izayoi Sakuya in lingerie: izayoi_sakuya lingerie
- Muscular Kirisame Marisa: kirisame_marisa muscular
- Portraits of Hatsune Miku: portrait hatsune_miku, solo hatsune_miku
Note that these searches are possible from a basic Member account, with a two-tag search limit, even if a little browsing may be required.
Priority: Level 0, Basic Identification
All posts MUST have these tags, if possible. These tags are responsible for making AIBooru minimally searchable, and allow content filtering for viewers who do not like sexual content, or images with commonly blacklisted tags.
- Artist (prefix with artist: when creating a new tag)
- If the artist does not currently have a tag on AIBooru, consider creating a new one. If you don't know how to read their name to create a tag, consider asking in the forum topic Artist tagging help, where someone is likely to help you come up with a name for the tag.
- Copyright (prefix with copyright: when creating a new tag)
- Character (prefix with character: when creating a new tag)
- Character lists from popular copyrights are available at tag_groups, in the Characters section.
- Use this tag for illustrations that feature characters that are not related to any kind of copyright.
- Frequently, these characters appear only in the one illustration, and will not have a name. In these cases, it isn't necessary to include character tags for them; the original tag is enough.
- Sometimes, such a character may become recurring, limited to a single artist, or multiple artists on a very small scale. (In this case, they may have names. Most such named original characters can be found in the list_of_original_characters.)
- Note: sexually_suggestive can carry a Sensitive rating.
- Spoilers (Important: apply if image is a potential spoiler)
Let's keep AIBooru a spoiler-free community.
Basic Image Content
- Posture, see tag_group:posture
- Face, see tag group:face tags
- Eyes, see tag_group:eyes_tags
- Facial Expressions, see tag_group:face_tags
- Stylized Facial Emotions
- Body Colors
- Eye Color, see tag_group:eyes_tags
- Hair Color, see tag_group:hair_color
- Skin Color, see tag_group:skin_color
- Body Fluids
- peeing (Important: commonly blacklisted tag)
- scat (Important: commonly blacklisted tag)
- vomit (Important: commonly blacklisted tag)
- Prominently Featured Body Parts
- Body Parts, see tag_group:body_parts
- Visible Skin/Level of Nudity
- Wear/Costume, tops and bottoms
Priority: Level 0-i, Sexually Explicit
These are basic tags specific to sexually explicit images.
Important Note: If any of these tags are applied to an image, consider setting the Rating to Explicit, as it will often (but not always) be appropriate, and AIBooru does not automatically do it for you. See howto:rate for precise guidelines regarding ratings.
- cum, see tag for more information.
- Body Parts, see tag_group:body_parts
- Sexual Actions, see tag_group:sex_acts
- Sexual Positions, see tag_group:sexual_positions
- Sexual Themes, see tag_group:sex_acts
- defloration (bleeding from broken hymen)
- Objects, see tag_group:sex_objects
Priority: Level 0-ii, Information and Requests
These tags indicate if additional information about an image, such as translations or artist commentaries are available.
- To be added only when the image is considered fully translated, see AIBooru Quality: Translation Guidelines.
- To be added only when a (fully translated, if necessary) commentary from the original artist is quoted in the comments of a post.
- To be added and retained until artist has been confirmed
- To be added and retained until all characters, foreground or background have been confirmed identified.
Priority: Level 0-iii, Technical Image Information and Source
These tags are to used to identify specifications of an image such as pixel size (dimensions), file sizes and types of sources.
- Image Sizes
- highres (1600x1200 or larger)
- absurdres (3200x2400 or larger)
- incredibly absurdres (any dimension above 10000)
- lowres (500x500 or lower, a lot of pixel art are lowres)
- Note: Sizes are likely to increase over time, as screens with higher pixel counts become more common.
- Note: image size tags are now added automatically.
- Long Images
- Illustration Source
Priority: Level 1 - Composition and Foreground Graphic Details
These tags are used to identify things happening in the foreground. Adding these tags brings AIBooru to an acceptable level of searchability.
- Composition and Artistic Genre
- Character Archetypes, Jobs and Classes see tag_group:jobs
- Color of Image, see tag_group:colors
- Decorations on Image
- Gestures, see tag_group:gestures
- Generic Character Groupings and Pairings
- male focus
- Special tag, due to the majority of AIBooru posts featuring females. The female tag is to be left unused.
- Objects in Foreground or Held or Operated by Characters
- Legendary Creatures, see tag_group:legendary_creatures
- Wear/Costume (Accessories)
Priority: Level 2, Background Graphic Details and Artistic Errors
These tags identify things happening in the background. Adding these tags greatly enhance AIBooru's searchability, possibly to the level of professional image databases such as GettyImages.
- Artistic Errors
- poorly drawn
- Note: Error tags are the only technically subjective tags approved for use on AIBooru, due to their relations with the highly subjective nature of the Moderation Queue.
- Background and Scenery
- Real World Locations, see tag_group:real_world_locations
- Objects in Background
- They usually carry a suffix (in picture).
- Time of Day
Priority: Level 3, Additional Artistic Details, Canons and Memes
These tags are for those with an intimate knowledge of the images they are searching for, such as artistic techniques, celebrities and family relationships.
- Celebrities/Real World People, see tag_group:people
- Characters, Implied
- Example: Cake Representing Patchouli Knowledge, post #495479
- Example: Cockroach Representing Wriggle Nightbug (meme), post #594819
- Family Relationships, see tag_group:family_relationships
- Note: requires intimate knowledge of
- Medium, Traditional
- faux traditional media
- faux watercolor
- faux graphite
- These tags are only for art created without a computer (bar scanning or photography). They usually carry a suffix (medium) to resolve ambiguities with many tags.
- Memes, see tag_group:meme
- Artistic Technique, Method of Creation/Preparation
- Text and Languages
Priority: Level 4, Microscopic Details
These tags identify extremely minute details in the background, often missed by a glance. The importance of tagging these details may be under debate, as they can either make or break the searchability of our images depending on the situation.
- Characters that appear far in the background
- Characters which are only partially visible
- Characters whose point of view is the subject of the image
Please check if tags have been accidentally created, usually due to a spelling error or simply things like cultural differences between taggers. Such tags can be identified on the left side of a post's full view. If you see any tags with a count of exactly 1, those tags may have been accidentally created.
Different taggers may have different words to describe the same actions, objects and events. Familiarizing yourself with the tag_groups is particularly important to find out which tags AIBooru uses. If you have any issues, it will be best to consult the forums.